Amateur Radio Extra Class License (or Ham Radio for Geeks)

Update: Woo!  I passed the test, and on 12/6/2021 (my brother's birthday) I received the modification to my license for Extra Class!!!

I first received my Amateur Radio license from the FCC back in 1988, when I successfully completed the exam (written and Morse code) for the Novice Class license.  Shortly thereafter, I received my Technician Plus license.  A few years later, and wanting to get more HF privileges than the Tech+ license allowed (and the fact that the FCC dropped the 13 word per minute Morse code requirement), I completed the General Class license exam.

And there I sat.  Until now.

I recently decided that I wanted to at least attempt to get my Extra Class license.  I began studying (mostly haphazardly) for the exam, but because of the COVID-19 pandemic, in-person testing stopped, and it took some time before the FCC would allow online testing.  During that interval, I mostly stopped studying.  Also during that time span, the questions for the exam changed.

Recently, it was announced that the Nashua Area Radio Society was holding a 3-day online "boot camp" class, which would include the exam at the end.  This class uses a popular study guide, and has a pre-study homework component.  Because of my work schedule (1300-0200 six nights per week), it's been hard to do that studying; what I did manage to get through was mostly gibberish to me.  I'm not feeling very good about my chances; to quote a friend of mine, "confidence is low".

The class starts in about 10 hours, and runs for 10 hours on each of the three days.

My brain is already hurting.  

Comments

Popular Posts