Who am I and why am I here?

Today, three different people asked me why I do the work that I do, when I'm clearly not being appropriately compensated for it, and receive grief from others for doing it. These people keep telling me to just not do it. Although my mindset is that SOMEONE needs to do it, I'm beginning to think they're right. I need to start forcing myself to just not care, I guess.

I've been working "outside my job description" for a number of years, mostly because there's work that needs to get done.  I usually don't care about receiving credit for the work, but every once in a while, it would be nice to be recognized (officially) for the value that I bring to the organization.

Instead, I'm just handed more work, while others in my pay grade won't even do their own jobs, and get away with it.  In addition, there are other people who get promoted, and immediately think they understand what I do, and can tell me how to do (ha!). Meanwhile, if something "doesn't work", they all come running to me to fix it.  At one point, I was on a temporary duty assignment (TDY) making twice what I make now.  The person at the top of my current org chart even commented to me that it was nice that I was getting paid what I'm worth.  Which was sort of an odd statement for that person to make, since there's no reason that I couldn't be promoted and get paid what I'm worth here.  

Comments

Popular Posts